Latest Must-Reads: Advanced Reader Copies (ARCs) I Received Recently

Welcome Jellies! In the past two months I have applied for a couple of Advanced Reader Copies, or more commonly known as ARCs. I was extremely lucky because I ended up receiving a total of 5 ARC copies of the books I have been really looking forward to. I cannot start to read and review them soon. I will link their Goodreads and Amazon links so that you can either pre-order or purchase them yourself because these upcoming releases are ones you'll want to add to your reading list. So, grab a cozy seat, and let's explore these gems together!!

MY ROYAL SHOWMANCE by LEXI BLAKE

Imagine being a Hollywood starlet and suddenly finding yourself entangled in a royal romance. Anika Fox, aiming to climb the ranks at her production company, ends up on the set of a reality TV dating show. The twist? She has to go undercover to solve a potential problem. Enter Luca St. Marten, a king from a tiny European country who reluctantly agrees to participate in the show to boost tourism. When Anika unexpectedly becomes a contestant, sparks fly, and she finds herself in a real-life fairy tale. But what’s real, and what’s just for TV? Get ready to be swept off your feet because that's exactly what Blake's storytelling will do. Trust me. 

When I first received the ARC, I was too excited to not read it immediately. Not to my surprise, I finished it rather very quickly. The chemistry between Anika and Luca is palpable from the start. Much to Anika's surprise, Luca continues to choose her as the show progresses. What begins as a reluctant participation in a reality show turns into a journey of self-discovery and unexpected romance. The line between reality and TV fantasy blurs, leaving both Anika and Luca questioning what’s real and what’s just for show.

If you ask me, this is a perfect book to read when you're on a vacation or a getaway because it has all the vibes you need on such a trip. 

RAPUNZEL IS LOSING IT by DILAN DYER

Cordelia Montgomery has spent over a decade in her cozy bubble at home, running a successful charity foundation and keeping her world small and safe. She doesn’t go out, has never dated, and can count her friends on one hand. Sounds pretty peaceful, right? But all it takes is three glasses of wine for her world to turn upside down—she ends up kissing Victor, her bodyguard. 

I have waited for this book so impatiently ever since I finished reading Cinderella Is Faking It, which is the first book in the Princess Crossover Series by Dilan Dyer. I cannot explain how over-the-top happy I was when I received the ARC in my inbox that day. I immediately got to reading and the experience is more beautiful than I expected it to be. Victor is definitely ranking really high up on the list of the men I want in my life. 

Speaking of Victor, you need to know that he has his own baggage. He used to be involved in some shady stuff with his uncle's business, but he's been hiding out and working as Cordelia's bodyguard for six years. Now, his past is catching up to him, and he's got to decide if he can keep Cordelia safe while dealing with his own family drama.

This book is such a rollercoaster! It's got all the feels—romance, tension, and the kind of character development that makes you really root for Cordelia and Victor. Watching Cordelia step out of her comfort zone and fight for what she wants is so inspiring, and Victor's struggle to protect her while facing his past is intense.

I also would like to talk about the mental health representation that we get in this book. Cordelia has ADHD and she is agoraphobic. Proper mental health representation is quite hard to find in books because most of the time its done by a person who does not experience the concerns. Even though I appreciate the work they put into the research and producing such characters, I prefer and love a character that is crafted from personal experiences. Dilan Dyer is also a person with ADHD and I adore her so much. I have had a few little conversations with her and she is a sweetheart. I urge you to check out this book right away. 

MURDER, SHE SOLD by RAY RILEY

Vivian Bexley, a realtor who left her small town behind ten years ago, is reluctantly drawn back home by her dad’s dramatic claims of life-or-death consequences if he doesn’t sell his house. She’s expecting a quick in-and-out trip, but things take a crazy turn when she arrives. There’s a dead body in the foyer, an annoyingly handsome cop on the lawn, and her father is missing!

Suddenly, Vivian's simple visit turns into a chaotic mystery. Trying to clean up her dad’s mess, she discovers nothing in Darlington is as it seems, especially not Officer Chris Gomez. He’s way too good-looking and those heated stares... there’s no way he’s as sweet as he looks.

With threats all around and her flight home looming, Vivian has to figure out if she can solve the mysteries without risking her neck—or her heart.

If you're into mystery and romance, you have to grab this book! Vivian Bexley returns to her hometown of Darlington to help her dad sell his house. I absolutely loved her entrance because she gets stuck in the window and guess who finds her. Yep, Chris Gomez. It's a perfect meet cute moment in my opinion. I couldn't believe that this wasn't just a romcom. 

Chris is an absolute swoon-fest. He's there for Vivian even when she doesn't realize she needs it, and he teaches her that it's okay to let people in and love you for who you really are. His devotion to her even when she's being grumpy is just so heartwarming. 

I usually don't read small-town romances but this small town of Darlington is so cute and the characters are lovable, relatable, and funny. I also don't read much muster (I am more of a mystery watcher) but man did this book keep me on edge. I kept trying to guess who the culprit was and that to me was a perfect experience.
 

EVERY VERSION OF YOU by SLOAN SPENCER

Imagine this: Angie Johanssen, a children’s therapist and the oldest of five siblings, has always been the caretaker. She’s great at getting her patients to open up about their feelings, but when it comes to her own, especially about her best friend Rafael, it’s a whole different story.

Then there’s Rafael Jimenez, the fun-loving, salsa-dancing CFO and rugby player who’s always been set on bachelorhood. But when he moves back to the city and offers Angie his spare bedroom, things get interesting. A little too much tequila at his housewarming party, and the next thing you know, they wake up in bed together—and Angie’s pregnant!

This book is full of hormones, role-playing, banter, and all the angst you could want. Watching Angie navigate her feelings and Rafael rediscover his teenage crush is a rollercoaster of emotions. 

I initially applied for this ARC after seeing a plus-sized FMC on the cover. In my experience of reading so far I have not encountered many books like that. Maybe that speaks about the book choices I make. This is why I decided to diversify the books I pick this year and reading different kinds of experiences is way more eye-opening than just reading about the concerns by themselves. For example, I could read about what happened in the 1947 India-Pakistan Partition, but reading stories of personal experiences and pain in the form of literature is more beneficial for us as readers and writer. 


THE FAKE DATING WAR by SOOKH KAUR

This book has healed my soul in ways I cannot explain. Be it the desi interracial couple or the way everything feels like it has come a circle by the end, everything about this book screams perfection. Starting from the very first page where we meet our characters, Reema and Jake, the workplace rivals of the FINAN group who are in cutthroat competition at every task they are given.

Then, disaster strikes: she accidentally tells her family she has an amazing boyfriend they’re dying to meet at her sister’s wedding. With no actual boyfriend in sight, guess who swoops in to offer his services? Yep, Satan himself—Jake Coleman. She knows he's up to something, but she’s got no other choice. What could possibly go wrong with fake dating for a week? Right?

This book puts you through a rollercoaster of emotions: be it swoony, sad, upset, shutting the book in secondhand embarrassment, or blushing at the spice. Reema is the Bane of Jake's existence (and the object of all his desires *wink wink*) To me this concept felt very common for example, take The Spanish Love Deception or The Hating Game. However, what makes this unique is the Indianness that is added to the story. 

I particularly loved how the Indian culture is the center of this and how the big desi Punjabi wedding was shown at its finest. Be it all the ceremonies and the rituals, or the typical uncles and aunties that don't seem to leave us alone. Everything felt really authentic and real. Not to forget the beautiful writing style of Sookh Kaur. There is a magic in them that will just pull you in and give you an unforgettable experience. Being an aspirant Indian author myself, I truly appreciate and respect her and her work. 

Even though my journey as an ARC reader is fairly new, I am absolutely enjoying every minute of it. The anticipation after applying for an advanced reader copy and the excitement that I get when I get accepted, it is just magical. The above reviews are condensed forms of my thoughts so if you are interested in reading more of my opinions on the books, let me know and I will do a full-length review on each book!

Do you read ARCS? What is your most recent ARC that you loved? Let me know in the comments! 


Comments